Wednesday, July 2, 2014

LibertyCon 27 - In Review

This past weekend I attended LibertyCon 27. It was not only my first time there, but my first time at any SF/F convention and I have to say it was a great way to start off.

The folks who organize LibertyCon are a fantastic bunch and, despite feeling a little out of my depth, I still felt at home.

I also got to meet some wonderful folks.
- I shook hands with Timothy Zahn, whose Star Wars books made me exceedingly happy as a teenager, read a new short story and was very gracious when I babbled about how much of an inspiration his writing had been.
- I was able to sit in on Jody Lynn Nye's reading from her forthcoming book, Fortunes of the Imperium. It's wonderfully funny and comes out in September. 
- David B. Coe/D.B. Jackson and I were both on a (rather large) panel featuring Tennessee authors and I got a chance to chat with him a little later in the day. His newest book (A Plunder of Souls) comes out in a week (July 8th).

Among the other folks I met that you should check out:
D. Alan Lewis - due to a mix-up with name badges I will probably forever remember him as "Padre Alan."
Larry Atchley, Jr - we were on a panel discussing horror and dark fantasy and I believe he has work coming out in several anthologies over the next year.
Tamara Lowery - currently finishing up a pirates series with a lead character who may be a vampire but doesn't sparkle.
Louis Puster III - writer of dark fantasy with two books so far in his series: The Saga of Ukumog

I had a great time and hope that, although this was my first convention, it won't be my last.




No comments: