Saturday, February 15, 2014

Angst (Update 2.15.14)

Today I wrote more words. With lots of emotional flailing and weeping (by my characters, not by me). As a result it took about 5 hours to get a measly 2k words out of my head and into the hard drive. Not that I'm complaining, words are words. But certain things take more time to get out in any sort of readable fashion. (Fight scenes and sex scenes also seem to take for ever. Arguments on the other hand run out on paper like water from a cup.)


I also had another short story published. THE COLLECTIONS AGENT went live in Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE #14 today. This is a great story about a man with six brass wings, a temper and the job of collecting various magical abilities and artifacts from those who can no longer pay for their use. I've been waiting for a while for this one to hit publication because it's one of my favorites. (I'll bet it will be one of yours as well.)


I'm also in the position of being almost out of short stories to keep on submission. One after another I've sold the publication ready ones 'til I'm left with only a few still searching for a home. (This includes the not-a-zombie-story and the contemporary vampire unromance.) Which is also why I've been working so hard on getting some new ones polished up and out the door. (And likely one or two old ones that were shelved for consideration.)


I've never had a problem coming up with ideas for new stories, but I sometimes find I lack the skill to do certain ideas justice. So, on occasion I write a story that I love, but I know isn't ready for submission. Those go on the shelf and every so often I pull them out and figure out how I might make them better. Several that started out as shelved stories have already been polished and found homes (IN THE COOL OF THE DAY, THE COLLECTIONS AGENT). I have a feeling there will be a few more joining them soon.

2 comments:

Arisia said...

I love your story "The Collections Agent" and it got me interested in reading all of your other work that I could find. I enjoyed it all. You have fresh, intriguing ideas and a bold style. Keep writing!

A.G. Carpenter said...

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. :)