Monday, January 13, 2014

Goals for 2014

Usually I post my goals for the upcoming year before we hit the end of December. This year I spent the month of December A) recovering from the sinus infection that ate Chicago (AKA my bout with The Blob) and B) neck deep in edits on the Steampunk Novel. (Plus all the normal holiday stuff.)


So, on the one hand, I'm a little late with this list because I've simply been busy. But I also found myself wondering what my goals for this year really were. Previous years have been pretty straightforward; I wanted to write and submit more and I set goals accordingly. (And then failed to meet them in spectacular fashion.)

This year... Well, the goals are much the same, but I'm rethinking my approach to how to meet them. Well, trying to rethink my approach.

The concrete things are still the same. 
1. Acquire an agent.
2. Keep working the short story front.
3. Finish up more of the novellas.
4. Write more novels.


Not necessarily in that order.


But the approach... I'm starting with organizing the back-log of stuff I already have. This includes outlines, sketches and trunked material that needs to be evaluated and grouped with like entities.


And then there's the whole putting my arse in a chair and writing bit. The past couple of years have been rough on the Real Life side. Chaotic. Unplanned. Unorganized. I've fallen out of the habit of setting aside time on a regular basis to write. Not because I didn't want to, but simply because I've had other commitments that must take priority. But this year I'm going to work harder at finding those little snippets of time that I'm not doing anything else and putting them to use hammering out words.


So, organize my shit, then work 'til it's done.


Maybe that's not so different after all.

No comments: