Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How To Feel Miserable As A Writer



(Or, What Not To Do. Underline Any That Apply)


1. Constantly Compare Yourself to Other Writers
2. Talk to Your Family About What You Do and Expect Them To Cheer You On
3. Base The Success of Your Career On One Project
4. Stick With What You Know
5. Undervalue Your Expertise
6. Let Money Dictate What You Do
7. Bow To Societal Pressures
8. Only Do Work That Your Family Would Love
9. Do Whatever the Client/Editor/Publisher/Magazine Wants
10. Set Unachievable/Overwhelming Goals. To Be Accomplished By Tomorrow


(NOTE: This is adapted from a post on The Violin Channel on Facebook - How To Feel Miserable As An Artist. All credit due to original (unnamed) author.)

4 comments:

Deborah Walker said...

Yikes, I think I'm guilty of #10. After all it is the new year.

A.G. Carpenter said...

Deborah: I too, have a tendency to fall into #10. ("What's that? A novella anthology? And the deadline is two weeks away? No problem." :P) I also struggle with #8. But I'm growing out of it. :)

Cheers!

Max said...

What to do:

1. Read Arthur Conan Doyle.
2. Read Harlan Ellison.
3. Profit!

Rhonda Parrish said...

1. Constantly Compare Yourself to Other Writers -- CHECK

I'm really, really prone to this one, however, I've found that depending on my mindset when I do it, it can be discouraging or inspiring. I strive for more of the latter than the former. Sometimes I'm successful :)

I actually came by to congratulate you on meeting your W1S1 goals for January. Yay!